Laser-like focus and dedication are key for startup success, there is just no way around both hard and smart work. When you love your work as much as I do, you don’t really consider relaxing. As a direct consequence, I do not make enough time to really make the most of my life as a digital nomad. It is a shame, and I wish to improve on this point. Some solutions to get a better grasp of the local cultures I'm visiting while still feeling productive:
- Learn the language: I downloaded Duolinguo to serve as a basis for learning and plan on practicing consistently in real life situations.
- Go to meetups, exchange and share: Meetup and similar social apps are an incredible opportunity to exchange with locals, even though English-friendly events seem kinda scarce in some countries.
- Learn photography: photography is a good excuse to go out and an incredible communication tool. I just happen to have a nice camera gathering dust.
- Work from libraries: buying a coworking space subscription is out of the question. Open spaces are obviously not deep work enablers, and coworking is still expensive from a local’s point of view.
- Write about you learned during your visits
- 1) Google some local cooking recipes, 2) go to the local market, 3) scream "My name is Chef", 4) get the pan/oven/pot ready, 5) profit